Rockstar Games has announced that Red Dead Redemption 2 will launch alongside a free companion Android and iOS app this Friday, October 26th.
With ‘The Red Dead Redemption 2 Companion App,’ users will be able to receive real-time information to their mobile device while playing the massive open-world western game on either PlayStation 4 or Xbox One.
Specifically, Rockstar says the app will provide users with the following features:
- The ability to view the in-game map, set waypoints or mark areas of interest by tapping the screen
- A display of player character Arthur Morgan’s core info and stats in real-time on the mobile device, removing the in-game HUD entirely
- Access to Arthur’s in-game Journal
- Stat tracking through Rockstar’s Social Club multiplayer and communications service
- The full digital game manual
- An optional $9.99 ‘Red Dead Redemption 2 Complete Official Guide‘ book from Piggyback
Rockstar says more features will be included in the app, although this is what the company has revealed so far. Presumably, the app’s Social Club feature will gain additional functionality for Red Dead Online, Red Dead Redemption 2‘s online multiplayer portion, which launches in public beta in November.
Update 26/10/18: The app can now be downloaded on Android and iOS. You might want to follow those direct links, though. As Polygon first noted, you won’t actually be able to find the app if you search “Red Dead Redemption,” given that the app is called “RDR 2: Companion.”
It’s also important to note that Android tablet users have taken to the Google Play Store review section to report a lack of compatibility with the app. According to these users, many tablets, including last year’s Samsung Galaxy Tab A, do not support the app.
A Rockstar representative has confirmed to Polygon that the company plans to support “most modern Android devices” with the RDR2: Companion app, including tablets. Updates will be rolled out in the future to add new compatibility, although it’s unclear when users can expect these to appear.
Source: Rockstar Games