Rogers sells a Smarphone every 3 minutes (Q1 results)

rogerswirelesslogoLooks like a recession can’t hold Rogers down! Nadir Mohamed, newly appointed President & CEO of Rogers reported their Q1 2009 results grew an impressive 8%.

In the report they state that the business was driven mostly by postpaid subscriber additions of 104,000 (last year was 97,000), also their data revenue growth increased by a whopping 43% (now consists of 20% of network revenue).

The kicker comes with smartphone activations (iPhone and BlackBerry), how does 360,000 sound to you? That is 120,000 per month, or 4,000 per day. Even further that is 166 every hour or almost 3 smartphones every minute. Approximately 40% of these are new activations and the other 60% existing customers who upgraded.

To let you know where you stand with others, the ARPU (Average monthly revenue per user) is $72.15 with a total of Average monthly usage of 570 minutes.

Nadir Mohamed said “The strength of our franchises is reflected in our first quarter results. We delivered positive subscriber trends, expanded margins, and accelerated data revenue growth at Wireless. We will build upon our solid foundation by driving continuous enhancements to our customer experience, by improving our operating and capital efficiency and by continuing to deliver innovative services and leading edge technologies that our customers have come to expect.”

More here at Rogers